Favorite Quote

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel,
read only one page." St. Augustine of Hippo

Monday, May 28, 2012

Chrono diet meals day 1


I just realized that I did not post our recipes for yesterday!  It’s going to take me a while to get the hang of this!

For breakfast yesterday AND today (and probably most days) we have the 2 slices of Milton Whole Grain Plus bread with butter and cheese and we broil it so it’s a gooey mess.  YUM!


For lunch we had Grilled 5 spice Flank Steak from the Sonoma Diet Book and ½ cup of Uncle Ben’s Brown and Wild Rice Mix.  It was DELICIOUS!  I'm not sure I have the hang of taking pictures of food yet so you'll have to bear with me!


5 Spice Flank Steak

1 - 1 pound beef flank steak
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 T soy sauce
1 T sweet rice wine
1 T lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 t grated fresh ginger
2 t five-spice powder
2 t ground coriander
1 t toasted sesame oil
¼ t fennel seeds, crushed
Dash cayenne pepper

Trim fat from steak.  Season steak with kosher salt and black pepper.  Place steak in a large self-sealing plastic bag set in a shallow dish.

For marinade, in a small bowl combine soy sauce, sweet rice wine, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, five-spice powder, coriander,, sesame oil, fennel seeds, and cayenne pepper.  Pour marinade over steak.  Seal bag’ turn to coat steak.  Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.

Drain steak, discarding marinade.  For a charcoal grill, place steak on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals.  Grill for 17-21 minutes or until medium doneness (160° F), turning once halfway through grilling.  (For a gas grill, preheat grill.  Reduce heat to medium.  Place steak on grill rack over heat.  Cover and grill as above.)

To serve, thinly slice steak across the grain.

Nutrition facts for 4 servings (for the Chrono diet actually it would be less servings):  204 cal., 8 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 47 mg chol., 689 mg sodium, 6 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 26 g pro.

For a snack I had 2 apples drizzled in honey.  I know that is not listed on the diet items yesterday but in several of the sites I was doing research, that was suggest as a snack as the honey could be substituted for dark chocolate. 


For dinner I did not follow any recipe.  We saw some fresh salmon at the grocery store so bought about a pound of that.  Normally Ron will cook the salmon on the grill, but since I made him grill lunch, I decided to try doing it in the oven.  I drizzled mandarin infused olive oil on top,

 sprinkled some sea salt with Herbs De Provence 

and put several sprigs of fresh rosemary on top. 


I bake it in our convection oven at 350° for about 15 minutes.  After it came out of the oven, I sprinkled some fresh thyme and oregano on it.  I think it was almost as good as when he does it on the grill.  Unfortunately, this might mean that I’ll have to start cooking the salmon now myself.  We ate our “unlimited green salad” with it, topped with Blood orange infused olive oil and Tangerine Balsamic vinegar.

If I was an experienced blogger, I would have remembered to take a picture of the salmon when it was done, but I was tired from the bike ride and I was in SUCH a hurry to eat the salmon I forgot until we were almost done eating it.  Sorry!  I will try to do much better!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment